Engage Groups April 9-12
1. Leaders: Take time to announce events happening this week in church.
2. Leaders: Be sure to review the Faith in Action you set as a group last week, then continue to the icebreaker question for this week’s study.
Icebreaker Question: Tell us about a time when reality and your expectations didn’t line up, good or bad.
A chasm is a marked interruption of continuity.
- In chapters 1-11, Paul describes the chasm in humanity’s relationship with God. In chapter 12, we see a shift. Why does Paul urge his brothers and sisters to offer our bodies as a living sacrifice?
- What does it mean to be a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God?
- How does the renewing of your mind fill in the chasm between our expectations and the reality of God?
FROM PLEASURE TO PERSEVERANCE
- What does it mean to remain steadfast under trial?
- Why do we sometimes assume God is the one who tempts us?
- What expectations do you have right now that God wants to change from pleasure to perseverance?
FROM FAME TO FAITHFULNESS
- In today’s society, it is popular to care only about ourselves, to chase money, success, and fame. How can we guarantee we are pursuing on Jesus’ standards and not society’s?
FROM SELFISHNESS TO SERVICE
- Have you personally experienced lording your power or having power lorded over you? Explain.
- Why do you think Jesus changed the standard from being served to serving?
FAITH IN ACTION
Think of a chasm in your life. What can you do to fill it? Take one step this week towards bridging the gap.