Engage Groups March 19-22
1. Leaders: Take time to announce events happening this week in church.
2. Leaders: Be sure to review the Faith in Action you set as a group last week, then continue to the icebreaker question for this week’s study.
Icebreaker Question: Who was your favorite teacher in school? Why?
Pastor Adrian stated that since Jesus death and resurrection that the local church has been God’s answer to the problems in the world. The way the local church impacts the world is through discipleship. Just as God has made every individual unique with each of us having a particular temperament and different sensibilities, each local church body is unique. The
Church (all believers everywhere) is called to make disciples, but how that plays out practically will look different from church to church. At Engage we run our discipleship process through one of our mantras, Engage God, Engage People and Engage Culture.
- Why do you think Jesus told the crowd that they must give up their own way to follow him?
- How do you “take up your cross daily”?
- How would you explain verse 24 in your own words?
- Describe a situation where you either: tried to hang on to your life and lost it, or you gave up your life and had it saved.
- The main point of this section was to relentlessly pursue Jesus. How can we practically apply this verse to our lives in order to accomplish that aim?
- Why is it important to understand the analogy between our physical bodies and the body of Christ?
- Sometimes we have the thought expressed in verse 15 (I am not a part of the body because…). Why do you think that is?
- Do you ever have the thought from verse 21, “I don’t need you” as it relates to other believers in the church? Why?
- The main theme Pastor Adrian wanted to get across with this point was to “consistently connect self and others to spiritual family”, how do you practically apply verses 26 and 27 to accomplish this?
● Many theologians connect the dominion/cultural mandate (Gen 1:28) to the great commission (Matth 28:18-20).
How would you describe how they are connected?
● The main theme for this point that Pastor Adrian communicated was to “intentionally add value through
meaningful work”. How do you currently add value through your work?
FAITH IN ACTION
Which of the three sections (God, People, Culture) do you have the hardest time engaging? Think of one practical way that you can begin to improve your engagement with that section this week.