Engage Groups January 29-February 1
THE CALL TO GIVE ALL
1. Leaders: Take time to announce events happening this week in church.
2. Leaders: Be sure to review the Faith in Action you set as a group last week, then continue to the icebreaker question for this week’s study.
Icebreaker Question: If you found out you only had two months to live, what would you want to do? What prevents you from doing that now?
- What was the initial attitude of this man toward Jesus? How do you know?
- Why do you think Jesus challenged this man about calling him “good”?
- Why do you think that Jesus only listed commandments that dealt how to treat other people?
- In verse 20, this man said that he does these commandments. Do you think Jesus is impressed? Why or why not?
- What is the significant message for you in verse 21? Explain.
- Based on this man’s response in verse 22, do you think this man inherited eternal life? Why or why not?
- What really do you think this man “hadn’t done”?
- What does this say about the difficulty of salvation?
- Can you think of 1-2 things in your life that could make difficult to enter the Kingdom of God? Name them.
- Why is entering the Kingdom of God “impossible humanly, but possible with God”?
- In verse 28, Peter says almost the same thing as the rich young ruler, but how is Peter’s response a bit different?
- What part of verse 29 reveals total sacrifice? And in verse 30, where do you see the sacrifice?
- In your own words, and thinking about sacrificing for God, explain verse 31.
PERSONAL: Faith in Action
Leaders take time to talk about specific things that we do or have that can distract us from being fully devoted to God. Now think of practical ways we can remove these things and replace them with habits and acts of godly devotion. Be specific.
Pray Romans 12:1-2 over each other.
“1 And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him.
2 Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.”
Pray that God would continue to show us what keeps us from fully devoting to Him and living lives of total surrender. Pray that our strength and fulfillment would be Him alone and that we heed His calling on our lives.