Engage Groups January 22-25
THE REAL DEAL
1. Leaders: Take time to announce events happening this week in church.
2. Leaders: Do the icebreaker question for this week’s study.
Icebreaker Question: When you die, what do you want to be remembered for?
- In verse 3, Jesus “knew that the Father had given Him authority, He came from God, and would return to God”. Why is this important when being an authentic leader? Explain.
- Why do you think Jesus washing the disciple’s feet was an act of the sincerity or authenticity?
- Why do you think Peter asked Jesus if He was going to wash his feet?
- In verse 7, Jesus says “you don’t understand now what I am doing, but someday you will”. Is there an area in your life that this statement can be true to you as well? Explain.
- What was Peter’s attitude about Jesus washing his feet? What does this tell you about him?
- How do you think you would’ve reacted in this situation?
- What do you think the act of washing the disciple’s feet really mean?
- In your own words, explain verse 10.
- How does Jesus reveal the true meaning of being a teacher?
- What does it mean to you that Jesus is Lord? Why is this important for being an authentic leader?
- Do we need to literally wash people’s feet or is there other ways we can show this example?
- So then, in your words, give a one sentence definition of what you think godly, authentic leadership is?
PERSONAL: Faith in Action
Leaders take time to talk about specific ways we can show others authentic faith. Now think of practical ways we can bless, change, and lead within our surroundings to show this authenticity. Be specific.
Pray Matthew 5:14-16.
14 “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.”
Pray that we show this world Jesus by our sincere character, godliness, and initiative. Ask God that He will embrace His process to mature us.