Engage Groups October 30-November 2
PUT A LITTLE LOVE IN YOUR HEART
1. Leaders: Take time to announce events happening this week in church.
2. Leaders: Be sure to review the Faith in Action you set as a group last week, then continue to the icebreaker question for this week’s study.
Icebreaker Question: What do you think makes a good friend? What makes these qualities important and how do they affect you?
- What commandments should we obey? Do you think there are other commands besides the Ten Commandments?
- How does obeying His commandments make us able to remain in His love?
- Why does our “joy overflow” by this obedience?
- Does “laying down one’s life” mean dying? Why or why not.
- According to verses 9 and 10, how did God model His love toward us?
- What is the significance to you that God sent His Son as a sacrifice on our behalf?
- Why is sacrifice the highest form of love? Give an example.
- In your own words, what does verses 12 and 13 means to you?
- What do think it means to “clothe yourself tenderhearted mercy and kindness?
- What about “clothing yourself with gentleness”? Give an example.
- Can you think of someone in your life that you do not make “allowances for their faults”? Why is it so hard?
- How hard is it to forgive those you love who offend you as opposed to those you don’t like? What do you think God thinks about this?
- How do we “clothe ourselves with love” and how does it bind us together? Give an example from your life on how you’ve seen this.
PERSONAL: Faith in Action
Leaders take time to discuss how God’s love is the catalyst for change in each one of us and how we practically can show others love so they too can see God. Think of someone we can treat differently to show God’s love to this week. Be specific.
Pray that God would continue to do a work in us that we can know His love deeper so that we may give it freely. Pray Colossians 3:12, that God will give us the grace, strength and power to put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience with those around us. Pray that we would be quick to forgive others and leave room for their faults.