Engage Groups September 18 - 21
SINCERITY: BEING THE REAL THING
Leaders: Be sure to review the Faith in Action you set as a group last week, then continue to the icebreaker question for this week’s study.
OPENING QUESTION: Have you ever gone to a movie based on the trailer, thinking it was going to be a great movie, only to be extremely disappointed? What movie was it? What did you think the movie was going to be like and then what made it so disappointing? Explain.
How has the Word of God been so powerful in your life?Explain how the Word of God is “alive” in your life?
- How has the Word of God been so powerful in your life?
- Explain how the Word of God is “alive” in your life?
- What makes the Word of God “expose” things going on within us?
- So then, how is the Word “sharp” and “cutting”?
- Where should our confidence come from?
- What taints our confidence then?
- What do you think “fleshly” wisdom is?
- How does “fleshly wisdom” affect sincerity?
- What are the four things that make up this type of gathering?
- What does it mean to “devote ourselves to the apostles’ teaching”?
- What do you think it means that they “broke bread” together?
- Of the four communal functions listed, which do you think is the most important? Why?
- In verse 46, what is the two key attitudes of their behavior?
- Verse 47 reveals the result of their attitude, behavior, and actions. What is it?
- Given the scope of community in today’s society and our interaction with others, how valuable is authenticity or sincerity?
PERSONAL: Faith in Action
Leaders take time to discuss what we can do practically to apply this message of sincerity. Identify specific attitudes, behaviors and actions that can be taken this week to show the sincerity of our faith. Be specific.
Take time to identify times where we have not been authentic or sincere in our faith or relationship with God. Take time whether silently or together to confess our short comings to God and thank Him for the work of Jesus. Now pray for each other to have the strength and courage to answer His call to have hearts of “gladness and sincerity” in every circumstance and interaction.